June 25, 2014

The Filipino-Invented Game of the Generals - Online Version

The Game of the Generals, also called GG as it is most fondly called, or simply The Generals, is an educational wargame invented in the Philippines by Sofronio H. Pasola, Jr. in 1970. It can be played within twenty to thirty minutes. It is designed for two players, each controlling an army, and a neutral arbiter or an adjutant. It needs the use of logic. The game simulates armies at war trying to outflank and outmaneuver each other. As in actual warfare, the game allows only one side's plan to succeed. Certain strategies and tactics, however, allow both sides the chance of securing a better idea of the other's plan as the game progresses. Players can also speak with others during matches, hoping to make a false impression on where the flag is.
Actual board game of the Game of the Generals.
I made an online version of this game around last year. I was pretty curious about Node.js, a new technology at that time that was buzzing the software development industry on the web. It was basically javascript for the server. Javascript has been extensively used on client-side codes (in the web browsers) alongside other technologies like Adobe's Flash. I have always been a big fan of javascript so I got out of my comfort zone (PHP and ASP.NET) and wanted to build something in order for me to learn this new technology.



One day, me and my cousin talked on the phone. Just getting some news about how we were doing and we also talked some things and adventures we did on the past. Playing Game of the Generals was one of those and it was actually my cousin who introduced me to this game. I was like, I haven't heard about this game in the social community recently. I searched the internet and I did find an online version of the game. I was pretty much excited to try but the thing was, you have to download the software first and then register. I was thinking, can I just play the game immediately without registration and downloading. Then a light bulb flickered, lolz. Why don't I build one where there will be no registration, nothing to download and could be played immediately without any hassle. And there should be an option to play against the computer (AI) for practice as well.

The old container of this game.
I told my cousin to watch out for my online version of this game. It took me about 2 months to complete the game because it was a little difficult to learn the Node.js framework and at the same time  build a design for the Game of the Generals and besides, I didn't work on it full time because I have a day job. But I persevered, that's what I am.

I didn't have a self-hosted website and I wanted to share this game freely on the internet so I decided I will just use Heroku as my hosting provider. I setup everything and then I went live around December 2013. I invited some of my friends and officemates to play the game and it was fantastic. We were hooked to the game and it brought back memories to when I started learning this game.

There have been issues about copyrights regarding this game but I sincerely hope that the remaining people who own the copyright will consider "freeing" this game to the social community and not just consider monetary reasons. This is a proudly Pinoy invention and we should spread it freely. That's just my 2 cents though.




For those who don't know how to play the game, check out Wikipedia.

Not sure how to play the online version? The UI has changed but the behavior stays the same. Watch this:



Help spread this proudly pinoy invented board game!