August 11, 2011

Windows 7 Issue with City Racer Game

I have this issue with City Racer game with Windows 7. It was running okay for months until one day, it won't start when I tried to open it the first time. I needed to open it twice in order to run it. I closed the application and then restarted my machine. I tried to open it once again. Nothing happened but I noticed my PC became sluggish a little bit.

I fired up task manager and saw that rundll was running with 50+ %. Wow! It would have been 100% for single core processors, I supposed. It really puzzled me and my CPU 0 temp was getting hotter and hotter. So I fired up Google and read some articles, tried them all but was never really successful in finding the solution. There was even one article that says to delete/replace a particular game legacy DLL from System32 folder. I never tried that though. I was afraid it might mess up everything. I realized I have to find this out on my own. So I first looked at the registry. This is my first go-to place when something is wrong with my PC. I was lucky to find something and do a little fix and woalah! It worked.

What I did was I fired up RegEdit then I browsed to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX. Opened up Games but I can't find City Racer there. I looked at the S-1-5-21... something and then I saw the City Racer game there. I compared the values from Games. I tried to change the values of ConfigGDFBinaryPath and ConfigInstallType to the actual path of the game and 2 respectively. It worked like a charm! I didn't know what those keys really mean but it worked for me so I didn't bother to look for it.